Examination Board: AQA
What topics are covered?
- Markets and Market Failure.
- The National and International Economy.
- Business Economics and the Distribution of Income.
Why study Economics at SGS?
- Enthusiastic, caring and knowledgeable teaching staff.
- Experience a completely different subject.
- A very popular department.
- Develop an understanding of economic concepts and theories that affect everyday life.
- Learn to think like an economist.
- Economics is a real, relevant, valuable, respected and traditional subject.
- It combines very well with many other subjects, including
- Mathematics, Geography, History, Science and Business Studies.
- Choosing Economics may open up a whole new world of education and career possibilities that you did not even know existed.
What skills will I gain from studying Economics?
- An ability to analyse and evaluate decision making by governments, businesses, households and consumers.
- An ability to apply your understanding of Economics to aspects of the recent performance of the UK, EU and world economy.
- Develop a well informed opinion on the big issues that matter.
- An ability to solve complex problems.
- An opportunity to join the prestigious Target 2.0 competition run by the Bank of England.
What career paths would Economics be suitable for?
- Funds manager
- Banker, Retail/Investment/Commercial
- Economic Advisor / Consultant
- Financial Analyst
- Environmental Planning
- Economic Researcher
What trips are available?
Every year we visit
- The Bank of England
- The London Metal Exchange
- The Supreme Court.
- We regularly attend various conferences.
Do I need to have studied Business Studies at GCSE?
No. The course is perfectly accessible to students with no formal economic or business knowledge and understanding. However, a B grade in GCSE English and a B grade in GCSE Mathematics would be an advantage.